Super fudgy chocolate brownies that you could easily eat for breakfast! This dairy-free, gluten-free and vegan treat will satisfy any chocolate craving without destroying your diet.
- 2 bananas
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (can substitute 1 egg)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (can substitute honey)
- 2 tablespoons coconut or almond milk (can substitute dairy milk)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips or chunks (can substitute regular chocolate chips)
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8×8 pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a food processor, blend bananas for 5-10 seconds until mostly smooth.
- Add applesauce, cocoa powder, maple syrup, milk, vanilla and espresso powder and blend until smooth.
- Add baking soda, baking powder and chocolate chips and pulse for a couple seconds to blend.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 25 minutes or until the top is no longer shiny and slightly cracked. The inside should be slightly under-baked – it will set as it cools, and will be the perfect fudgy consistency!
- Very important: Let sit at least a couple hours to cool before cutting and serving (they’ll be even more firm if you can leave them overnight). Store in fridge in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- You could swap ingredients to your liking and I’ve noted those in the recipe above – but keep in mind if you swap all of the things, you may not end up with the same result, and I unfortunately can’t predict that outcome for you.
- These are very fudgy and moist, and don’t hold together the way a more cake-like brownie would. Embrace it! Top it with some fruit or ice cream and eat it with a spoon 🙂
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banana brownies, chocolate banana, brownies, dessert, healthy dessert