French meringue cookies are sweet, crisp, light and fluffy little clouds! You only need 5 ingredients, but it does require some skill – this post is full of tips for making the best meringue possible.
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar*
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 drop food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a very clean and dry stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment (or large bowl with a handheld mixer), combine egg whites, cream of tartar and salt, and whip on medium-high speed until combined and frothy and form soft peaks – about 30 to 60 seconds.
- With the mixer running, add sugar 1 teaspoon at a time, mixing after each addition until the sugar has fully dissolved.
- Continue to mix until the meringue holds stuff peaks and is glossy in appearance. This can take up to 10 minutes, so be patient!
- Add vanilla extract and beat just to combine (about 10 seconds).
- Transfer the meringue mixture to a clean piping bag fitted with a pastry tip (I like to use a French Star tip) and pipe into desired shape onto prepared baking sheets about 1″ apart. They won’t spread, but you still want to give them a little room.
- Place on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour. Now turn off the oven – but don’t open the door! Let them rest in the oven for another 1 hour while the oven naturally cools down.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely before transferring to an airtight container for storage. Enjoy!
Read all the tips in the blog post body for the best results.
*Don’t have cream of tartar? Substitute 2 teaspoons lemon juice.
Storage: Meringue cookies can be stores in an airtight container at room temperature for about 2 weeks.
Freezing: If you want to freeze them, wait until they’ve completely cooled and then transfer them to a freezer-friendly hard-sided container and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. When you’re ready to eat them, let them come to room temperature in the container.
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: french meringue, meringue cookies, meringue cookies recipe