An easy, creamy (and boozy) homemade eggnog recipe that doesn’t waste the egg whites! Serve alongside all your favorite Christmas cookies and festive treats at your next holiday party.
- 3 large Pete and Gerry’s eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup rum
- 1/4 cup amaretto (optional)
- Ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and/or whipped cream, for garnish
- Separate your egg yolks and whites, placing your egg yolks in a large bowl and egg whites in a small bowl, and place the bowl of whites in the fridge for later.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, cream, cinnamon stick, nutmeg and salt and stir to combine. Stir frequently over low heat until the mixture beings to simmer and you see bubbles around the edges of the pan, then remove from heat. Add vanilla and whisk to combine, then let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar to bowl of egg yolks and whisk until well combined, light and creamy. Set aside.
- Carefully remove the cinnamon stick from the saucepan and discard.
- Slowly add the milk mixture into the bowl of egg mixture, a little at a time, whisking after each addition. You don’t want to scramble the eggs in the mix, so you want to gradually introduce the warm milk mixture to the cold egg mixture.
- Add rum (and amaretto, if using) and whisk to combine.
- Pour into a pitcher, cover, and place in the fridge to chill and until ready to serve.
When you’re ready to serve…
This step is optional, but highly encouraged: When you’re ready to serve the eggnog, you want to add your egg whites!
- In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites to soft peaks. While the mixer is running, slowly add 1 tablespoon sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk the egg whites into the rest of the eggnog mixture.
- Pour into glasses, top with whipped cream and a little ground nutmeg or ground cinnamon, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Category: Drink
- Method: Cook
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: homemade eggnog, easy eggnog, easy homemade eggnog, spiked eggnog