This warm, fluffy stuffing has the perfect combination of sweet cornbread, crispy bacon and savory herbs. Perfect for Thanksgiving!
- 1/2 skillet’s worth cornbread, cut into small cubes
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, cut into small cubes
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 leek stalk, chopped (can substitute 1/2 a small onion)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon sage leaves, chopped
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Spread cornbread and whole wheat bread on each baking sheet and bake until dry and golden, about 12-15 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl and set aside.
- In your preferred method, cook bacon until crispy. If cooked in a pan or skillet, do not drain bacon fat. If baked in the oven, reserve bacon fat and pour into medium sized skillet.
- Add leeks and garlic and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in celery and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and transfer mixture to the bowl of bread.
- Add sage, egg, broth and parsley and stir to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Transfer mixture evenly to dish.
- Bake for 20 minutes until top is golden brown.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Bake
Keywords: cornbread stuffing, cornbread and bacon stuffing, thanksgiving stuffing, thanksgiving dressing, cornbread dressing