This might have basic ingredients, but the result is anything BUT basic! Saltines are covered with an easy caramel sauce, two types of chocolate, crushed and chopped peppermint, and assorted holiday sprinkles!
- 40 saltine crackers
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 20 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces white chocolate
- Crushed peppermint, chopped Andes mints, other various sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and then place the crackers in a single layer (5 across, 8 down – or whatever fits your pan).
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and salt. Heat over medium, stirring constantly until the mixture comes to a boil and starts to get darker. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Immediately pour hot mixture over the crackers in an even layer. Use a spatula to spread it evenly if need be.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- While pan is in the oven, melt chocolate according to package directions in a microwave safe bowl or using a double broiler.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately pour the chocolate on top in an even layer. Use a spatula to spread it across the top evenly.
- Melt white chocolate according to package directions and place in a piping bag to drizzle across the top. Add anything else you want at this point – sprinkles, chopped Andes mints, crushed peppermint, etc.
- Let the pan cool to room temperature and then place in the fridge to chill for at least an over, preferably overnight.
- Use a knife to cut into pieces – it won’t break evenly and that’s completely expected and okay! Store in fridge until ready to serve, and enjoy. Beware: it’s addictive 🙂
Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or at room temperature for up to 1 week.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
Keywords: christmas crack, christmas bark, holiday bark, peppermint bark, chocolate bark