These chewy margarita cookies are soft, salty and sweet, with zesty lime and orange flavors and a hint of tequila!
- 3 cups all purpose four
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon tequila
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Triple Sec (can substitute orange extract)
- Zest of 1 lime (about 2 teaspoons – can add more if desired)
- Additional lime zest for garnish (optional)
- Margarita salt, maldon flake salt, and/or coarse sparkling sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F and prepare two baking sheets with nonstick silicon mats or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, add butter and sugar and beat on high speed until creamed together.
- Add egg, tequila, lime juice, Triple Sec and lime zest and beat until just combined.
- With the mixer running on low speed, add flour a little at a time until just combined and no streaks of flour remain.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (about 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons), portion out balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheets with no more than 6 to each sheet. Roll them between the palms of your hands to form balls.
Optional before baking, but encouraged:
- Add a little more fresh lime zest to the top
- Roll in coarse sparkling sugar
- Top with a sprinkle with coarse sparkling sugar
- Top with a sprinkle of margarita salt or maldon flake salt
- Top with a sprinkle of sugar and salt combined!
- Bake for 12 minutes. You want them to be set and crinkled, but not yet golden. Let cool on baking sheet for a couple minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Store in airtight containers. Enjoy!
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican-inspired
Keywords: chewy margarita cookies, boozy cookies, chewy sugar cookies, margarita sugar cookies, summer cookies, tequila cookies, lime cookies, cinco de mayo cookies