These blueberry oatmeal bars are just the right amount of sweet with their juicy blueberry filling, soft and buttery oatmeal crust, and golden crumb topping!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (can substitute gluten free oats)
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour (can substitute 1:1 gluten free flour)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (can substitute coconut oil, melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- Zest of one lemon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces fresh or frozen blueberries*
- Preheat oven to 375° and line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper and coat with nonstick spray . Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flour, brown sugar and salt. Add melted butter and vanilla extract, and stir until flour is completely combined and mixture is lumpy.
- Set aside a little less than 1/2 of the mixture in a small bowl, and press the rest into the bottom of your prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine granulated sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cornstarch. Add blueberries and carefully stir and/or toss the mixture to coat the blueberries.
- Pour blueberry mixture evenly over crust in prepared baking dish.
- Top with reserved oatmeal mixture – you’ll still have some of the fruit showing through, and that’s just fine!
- Bake for 38-42 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool completely (or place in the fridge to cool it more quickly).
- Use the edges of the parchment paper to lift the bars out of the pan, slice, and serve. Enjoy!
- Store in the fridge, covered for up to 3 days. They’ll become softer as time goes on, so eating them within the first day is recommended.
- Reheat by microwaving for 10-15 seconds.
- If gluten free, use gluten free oats and gluten free flour.
- If dairy free or vegan, substitute melted butter for melted coconut oil.
- *If using frozen blueberries, thaw, rinse and drain before using.
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry oatmeal bars, blueberry bars, blueberry, oatmeal, dessert, easy recipe, oatmeal bars