Don’t bother with those awful, chalky conversation heart candies – make these soft, chewy sugar cookies instead! Add some royal icing and you can customize them for Valentine’s Day any way you want.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups of flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter(s)
- 3 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder, divided
- 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract, divided
- Various gel food coloring
- Piping bags and small frosting tip
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add in egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Mix until well-combined.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add flour mixture in several additions to the butter mixture. Mix until well-combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and roll out dough to desired thickness. Place in fridge and let chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Cut dough into shapes with heart-shaped cookie cutter(s) and transfer to a baking sheet lined with a non-stick liner. Don’t use the same one you placed in the fridge unless it has warmed up to room temperature.
- Bake for 9 minutes (a little longer if the cookies are particularly thick). Cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- While cookies are cooling, prepare royal icing. In a large bowl, mix powdered sugar, meringue powder and water on a medium-high speed until soft peaks form. One batch at a time (1/3 of ingredients), add food coloring one drop at a time, mixing after each addition until desired shade is achieved. If you want to make even more different colors, just use 1/3 of the above ingredients for each color batch.
- Fill piping bags fitted with a small circular frosting tip with various colored icings.
- Outline the top of each cookie with a thin line of frosting, let sit for a couple minutes, and then fill them in with more frosting and spread until smooth. For smoothest icing, you may want to add a bit more water to create a “flooded” consistency that will spread more easily and smoothly.
- Use colored icing of your preference to pipe cute phrases on each cookie. Hand them out to your favorite Valentine and tell them to enjoy!
- Calories: 5606
- Sugar: 797g
- Sodium: 1496mg
- Fat: 174g
- Saturated Fat: 74g
- Unsaturated Fat: 90g
- Trans Fat: 4g
- Carbohydrates: 971g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 43g
- Cholesterol: 430mg