The perfect macaroni and cheese casserole! Rich and cheesy on the inside, crunchy homemade breadcrumbs on the outside.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 slices whole wheat bread
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup minced onion (or 1 tablespoon onion powder)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 1/2 pounds cheddar cheese, grated or shredded
- 8 ounces asiago cheese, grated or shredded
- 1 egg, room temperature and beaten
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray .
- Make macaroni al dente according to package directions. Drain and toss in 1 tablespoon butter. Set aside.
- Melt two tablespoons of butter. Toast the bread and then pulse the butter and bread together in a food processor until you have relatively small crumbs. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter. Add flour and whisk constantly until combined and golden.
- Add the evaporated milk and milk and whisk constantly until combined and relatively smooth. Add onion and garlic and stir for a few minutes until they’ve softened. Add ground mustard and whisk to combine. Salt and pepper to taste, then bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat, add cheddar and asiago cheeses and use a heat-resistant stirring spoon to combine until melted and smooth.
- Add beaten egg and stir to combine. Taste test and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Add macaroni to the pan and stir to complete coat and combine.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumbs.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Remove foil and let broil for another 5 minutes until the breadcrumbs are golden and toasted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Category: Entree
- Method: Bake
Keywords: baked mac and cheese, macaroni and cheese