A super easy way to satisfy a pizza craving when you’re low on time or dough: Puff pastry steps in as the crust, and the rest is totally up to you!
You guys! It’s National Pizza Day!
I feel like I don’t have to do a lot of convincing on the topic of eating pizza, but I probably have to do quite a bit on the topic of making pizza.
I know that making your own crust can be time-consuming, finicky, and frustrating, so I’m taking this opportunity to encourage you to cheat. Go ahead, I won’t scold you for this one. Using pre-made frozen puff pastry is going to make your pizza-making experience much easier, much faster, and much less frustrating.
Even better about this recipe is that it’s 100% customizable. I love mushrooms and olives on mine, but you could do whatever you want! Just follow the recipe and swap my ingredients for your own. You’ll be eating pizza in 20 minutes and it’ll be awesome.
Don’t be afraid to pile on your veggies and cheese – the more the merrier!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 8 ounces mushrooms (or whatever veggies you want), sliced
- 2 tablespoons white wine (can substitute chicken broth or water)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup black olives, sliced
- ½ tablespoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with a silicon mat or parchment paper.
- Roll out thawed pastry onto prepared baking sheet and slice in half (width-wise).
- Brush 1 tablespoon of olive oil across each pastry sheet, making sure to cover it all the way to the edges. Add more oil if you need it.
- In a large pan, combine butter, garlic and mushrooms over medium heat. Sauté for a couple minutes, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine (or broth/water) and stir frequently until the liquid has mostly cooked off. Turn off the heat.
- On each prepared pastry sheet, cover the center with the cheese, leaving a small border all the way around.
- Add the sauteed vegetables, and then top with olives, basil, parsley and red pepper. Add more cheese if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the pastry is golden brown.
- Let the pizza set for a couple minutes before slicing into four or six pieces each, and then serve immediately and enjoy!