Happy Friday, friends! Don’t you wish you were still all snuggled up in a blanket instead of doing adult things, like working? My boyfriend’s cat has no idea how good he has it. Seriously. I wish my new year’s resolution could be to spend more time lying around, doing nothing… like a cat.
In all seriousness, I know plenty of people are trying to stick to their new year’s resolutions, and I’ve spoken to many people who said that their resolution was to spend less money this year. It can be really difficult to find motivation to pack a lunch each morning, especially if you have a full time job and responsibilities outside of taking care of yourself! Having little ones running around the house, dogs that need to be walked, or even just needing that time for your daily workout can easily cause packing your lunch to get pushed by the wayside. Stop me if you’ve heard this one:
- Alarm goes off, and it gets snoozed at least once before I stumble out of bed.
- I do my best zombie walk into the bathroom to take a shower.
- I stay in the shower for a little bit too long because the warm water feels too good to get out.
- I head back to my bedroom to dry my hair, do my makeup and get dressed (where at least five minutes is dedicated to deciding if I care enough to even do my hair and makeup that day).
- I make myself a coffee to go, and check the clock only to find I need to leave in 30 seconds if I want to make it to work on time because I just KNOW that I’ll get stuck behind approximately 17 school buses on the way to the office.
- And with that, I have zero time to throw together a lunch for the day. Womp womp.
This happens way more often than not, so a long time ago I started making my lunches for the week on Sundays – or at least enough for the first few days of the week, and then I make the rest on Wednesday night.
I wanted to share some of my favorite weekday lunch recipes with you to help you get out of the habit of buying your lunch everyday just because you didn’t plan ahead. I’m certainly not opposed to the occasional lunch out of the office, but I’m trying to keep things bank account friendly 🙂
- Mason jar salads. I LOVE these, and the possibilities are truly endless. I’m sure you’re skeptical of how a pre-made salad would last week, but it totally works. As long as you layer your ingredients in the right order, it’ll be perfectly fresh when you get to it.
- Instant noodles in a cup, but without the insane amount of sodium. Plus, there are some great tips on here for how to prepare the best ingredients for the recipe.
- Homemade pho? YES PLEASE. I freaking live for pho.
- I like to call this mason jar curry because that’s what I use when I make it – but any glass container will work perfectly! I’m also a huge fan of yellow curry, so I tend to make this more along the lines of the recipe you can find over at Pinch of Yum.
- Roast a chicken on Sunday, and then cut or shred the meat to make sandwiches or wraps throughout the week. You could even use it to top your mason jar salads, too! And while you’re at it, save the carcass to make your own chicken broth!
With all of this said, I have nothing against the old standby of a peanut butter sandwich. Sprinkle a teaspoon of chia seeds across the peanut butter and pair it with a freshly sliced apple I’m on board!