Formerly called Maudesleigh, the 480 acre horticultural and agricultural estate was owned by the Moseley Family from 1900 until 1985 when it became the property of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation. During it’s heyday, a staff of 40 tended to the Main House, the Helen Moseley House, the houses for the Coachman, the Forester and the Head Gardener as well as three greenhouses and hot houses. While most of the buildings are gone, espaliered fruit trees, a formal vegetable and cutting garden, a 500 foot perennial border, an Italian garden, rose garden, and collection of rhododendrons, azaleas, and specimen trees in addition to the laurels that occurred naturally on the estate are still here. Miles of carriage roads and walking trails crisscross throughout the property over stone arch bridges, past a flowering reflection pond and through spectacular fields and meadows.
We made our way down to the beach to check out the other house. Next to it was a boathouse, and even a boat. After looking around, it appears that this house was likely a barn due to the big doors and overall design.
There’s also a relatively creepy cellar-type structure that was built into the side of the hill. It was probably for electricity or something normal, but the graffiti brings quite the creepy “get the hell out” kind of vibe. It’s hard to want to leave such a beautiful spot.